Friday, December 2, 2011

We made votive candle holders

We are on day six in Moscow and, as I have complained recently, the jet lag is murder.  I don't have the brain power to think of a more interesting or witty title for this post.  Also, I don't want to get on a plane again until they are at least 10 and 11.

I know you are wondering why we are crafting when we are so freaking tired?  Well, we're also battling a nasty phlegmy coughy cold thing, so we haven't had any playdates since we've been back.  And I have to find something to fill the time while we're under quarantine.

On Wednesday we turned old baby food jars, tissue paper and glue into candle holders.  First we tore up the tissue paper.  I was surprised that N was not interested in this, but in fairness, I had just woken her from a long nap and she was a bit peeved.  Z is always up for ripping paper, though.

N did pretty well painting the jars with glue (I mixed Elmer's School Glue with an equal amount of water), but her attention dropped off when it was time to affix the tissue paper to the glue-painted jars, so I finished it for her.  Z painted a little, but mostly just sucked the glue off the brush.  I was too tired to care. 

This activity held our attention for about 15 minutes.  Minimal mess.  We didn't break any jars and no one died from glue poisoning.  Not terrible.  Next time I think we need to do more layers of tissue, or maybe use brighter colors - I had a few pastels in the mix.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!