Friday, May 18, 2012

Clean-Out-The-Fridge Cuisine

As I've discussed before, I hate wasting food.  I hate wasting it at any time of year, regardless of the circumstances, and pack-out time is no exception.  We're getting down to the dregs now, so for tonight's dinner, I came up with this (all I had to buy to complete this meal was the cheese):

I don't know why this looks kind of gross.  I blame my poor camera skills.  It's hard to photograph pizza.

Flatbread Roasted Pumpkin and Cauliflower Pizza with Sorrel-Mint Pesto and Caramelized Onions
(hint: if you use words like "roasted" and "caramelized" in your recipe titles, they always sound better).
Serves two adults and two toddlers

Ingredients:
Three 12-inch flour tortillas (I had to pick through the bag to find a few that weren't stale)
8 oz cubed pumpkin (mine was frozen)
8 oz cauliflower florets (again, frozen)
1 onion, sliced
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

For pesto:
1 cup sorrel leaves
2 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup olive oil (or in my case, grapeseed, because that was what we had left)
2 cloves garlic
leftover salt from a package of Super Pretzels (or, you know, regular salt)
pepper

Preheat oven to 450F.  Put your veggies on a baking sheet with some salt and roast for 30 minutes.  Throw the onions into a pan with some olive oil and allow to cook on medium-low for 30 minutes.  Put first four pesto ingredients in a blender/food processor/Magic Bullet and process.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  When everything is done, spread pesto on tortillas.  Top with onions, pumpkin and cauliflower, then cheese.  Put back into the 450-degree oven for about 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted to your liking.  Enjoy.

(This actually was pretty tasty.  I might make it again).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!