Sunday, July 7, 2013

Independence Day

July 4 was Thursday, but the community celebration with fireworks took place last weekend, starting at 6 p.m.  At 2 p.m., midway through naptime, I realized that my girls did not have appropriate attire.  I turned my stash upside down in search of the right fabric, and then sewed furiously until 5 p.m. Thanks to the very easy Oliver + S Popover Dress pattern, my girls had patriotic frocks by party time.  The girls had a blast and even stayed up to watch fireworks at 10 p.m.






Then on July 3, the Embassy held its official Independence Day reception. Jeremy was the emcee and I sang the national anthem.  No recording to share, but just as well since I did hear a snippet and my "see" was spectacularly off-key.  Well-supported, clear and with good tone ... but staggeringly flat.  Yikes.  Sorry guys.

I sewed myself a dress for the occasion (Made By Rae's Washi dress plus a ribbon belt) and I do have a photo of that for you.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your sewing speed is impressive! I've never made two garments in one day. And probably never will as I am a lazy person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me sick with envy! Such darling clothes and you're so fast at sewing! And the garden is great. We got an Embassy plot again this year (shared with someone). Last year I wasn't here for the fruits of it. We've been getting peas for a few days, but not nearly as many as I'd like. They say the gardens will be plowed under so no planting peas in the fall, but I wish we could.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!