Thursday, March 20, 2014

Garden surprise

It must be noted that I am a very lazy gardener.  Last fall, I planted the garden, and when it became clear that it wasn't going to produce much, I just left it for dead.  Didn't water it, didn't weed it, etc.  Bad gardener!

So, when I returned to the garden last weekend, I wasn't surprised to find that a good part of it was choked with weeds.  I was, however, very surprised to find a number of teeny tiny plants that had survived the winter (and more strikingly, my neglect).

Teeny tiny lettuces (post-weeding).



 Teeny tiny snap peas.



Teeny tiny kale.



 One teeny tiny beet, roughly in the center of the photo.



 J also built me a raised bed (background) which I will plant with lettuce, spinach and a few herbs. 


We went to the garden center to pick up soil, and while there, the girls each picked out two flowering plants (to the right in this photo, they each have their own window box), and we bought six strawberry plants.  The raspberries and blackberries I bought last summer did horribly after I planted them into the ground (which is basically just building materials left over from the houses piled up with some clay), so I figured I'd try putting the strawberries into containers.


We'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!