Monday, May 2, 2011

Ding dong ...

Two different kinds of bells tolled this weekend.

Westminster Abbey bells:  I totally got goosebumps and a lump in my throat while watching the royal wedding.  I admit it.  I'm a sap.  She looked amazing.  He was beaming.  Monarchy is kind of cool.  I know it's totally the opposite of American, but I dig it.  (Also, don't tell me that Hollywood celebrities are like our royalty unless you would like to watch me throw up in my mouth.  Seriously, who would be Queen?  Angelina Jolie?  Kim Kardashian?  Let's rule out everyone who has made a s.e.x  t.a.p.e. and see who is left.)

The-witch-is-dead bells: I have rewritten this five times since this morning.  I guess I am having trouble processing the news of Osama bin Laden's death.  On the one hand, as an American, I am glad that we finally punched him back.  On the other hand, as a Christian, I have trouble with the idea of rejoicing because someone has been killed.  I remember the videos of Palestinians dancing in the streets after the towers collapsed, and how disgusted and angry it made us.  I don't think the footage of Americans celebrating in the streets is the same, exactly - there is a difference in glee at the death of innocents, and glee at the death of a killer - but it is reminiscent.

So, while I'm not sorry he's dead, I can't say that I'm happy or excited about the news.  Not just from a religious point of view, but also because I don't know what this changes.  Does it bring our servicemen and women home?  Does it kill al Qaeda?

A friend of mine pointed out that it shows that America WILL root out the bad guys and get them, even if it takes 10 years.  I guess that's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!