Monday, April 25, 2011

Lovely

Yesterday was lovely. The weather was sunny and beautiful, and we spent most of our time outside.

And bonus, Jeremy's birthday cake did not fall apart. I have much work to do on making cakes look appetizing, however, I have the taste part down pat! The bottom tier was vanilla bean white cake (my favorite) with raspberry filling made from berries I froze last summer. The top layer was devil's food with raspberry filling. And the frosting was a whipped milk chocolate ganache. Absolutely delicious, but I learned that I can't be so pokey about frosting the cake when working with ganache, or it will harden before you've smoothed it out and end up looking like this:



The spread. We had two hams - a Russian-bought one that was pretty tasty, and a country ham from Virginia. I wish I'd gotten a picture of them in the roasters!  Also - sliced sausage, four types of cheese, and a plate of greens, baguette rounds, rye bread, Armenian lavash, a savory smoked salmon cheesecake, a summery salad, roasted summer squash, roasted eggplant, cheesy potatoes (recipe here), kulich, pascha, and of course, birthday cake.


Dessert ... yum. You can see the cake in the foreground.

Times like this I wish we had a hose out back ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!