Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cabbage juice cupcakes

Today I made a small batch of white cupcake batter to experiment with natural food coloring.  I was particularly interested to try making blue and pink cupcakes with the "dye" I made from purple cabbage.  When I boiled the cabbage, the water turned blue.  But when I added a glug of vinegar, it instantly turned fuschia.  I was a little worried at what the cabbage water would do to the flavor of the cupcakes, especially because I had to mix quite a lot of the blue water into the dye to get the color.

So here is what they looked like out of the oven.  Don't mind the stab wound in the (yes, blue!) cupcake; I couldn't find a toothpick:


The two on top were dyed with the fuschia cabbage water.  The one next to the blue one was dyed with pomegranate juice, which just turned it an unappealing shade of taupe.

Then I cut into them:



Well, would you look at that!  And they didn't taste cabbagey at all.  Who knew?

(The ones on the bottom are carrot, lemon and lime cupcakes.  I don't know why I thought they would take on any color.  Clearly they did not.)

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! I'm going to try it sometime. I was showing this post to my husband and telling him how cool it was and he mentioned that maybe they'd like it over at Hardship Homemaking. I'm not admin this month but I'd love to post it on a month when I am admin. Let me know if you'd be interested. Have you found any other colors that you can make other than the cabbage ones? Nice to know that it doesn't change the taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!